For the shortbread base
- 100g butter, softened
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 175g plain flour
For the Fruit Filling
- 450g cooking apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 25g caster sugar
- 175g ready-to-eat dried apricots, halved
For the Treacle Tart Topping
- grated rind of 1 orange, plus 1 tbsp juice
- 200g golden syrup
- 8 tbsp porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 160C (gas 3). Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in the flour until smooth. Tip the mixture into a 23cm square tin and press down the base. Lightly prick with a fork and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Put the apples in a pan with the sugar. Cover loosely and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the apples are pulpy. Add the apricots and cook gently, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, stirring. Whizz to a puree.
- Increase the oven temperature to 190C (gas 5). Spread the filling over the base. Combine the topping ingredients until well mixed. Spread over the filling. Return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes, until set and pale golden. Cool in the tin before cutting.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings