- 150g butter
- 150g light brown muscovado sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2tbsp milk
- 2 eating apples
- 100g pecan nuts, broken into pieces
- 75g sultanas
- 1-2tbsp sugar crystals
- Preheat the oven to 180oc gas mark 4.
- Grease an 18cm round loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Place softened butter in a large mixing bowl with muscovado sugar and beat together until pale and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour and cinnamon into this mixture.
- Add the beaten eggs and beat together. Stir in the milk.
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters, remove the cores.
- Cut each apple quarter in half again lengthways, then slice the pieces widthways.
- Reserve a handful of the apple pieces and stir the rest, with the pecans and sultanas into the cake mixture.
- Tip into the cake tin and level the surface with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Scatter the reserved apple pieces evenly over the top then sprinkle over the sugar crystals.
- Bake for 1hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings