- 750g raw beetroot, trimmed, peeled and finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 dessert apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 200g sugar
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Put all the ingredients into a large preserving pan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring often, until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook gently for a further 1-1½ hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
- After about an hour, start checking to see if the chutney is ready by dragging a channel though the mixture so that the bottom of the pan is visible. If the channel fills immediately with liquid, the chutney is not ready.
- Cook for a further 15 mins and check again. The chutney is ready when the channel does not fill and the mixture is very thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand for 5 mins. Carefully pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
- Try this on a roast beef sandwich made with thickly sliced white bread!!
<<< Back to Chutneys, Pickles & Preserves