- 400g cooked beetroot
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for the tin
- 200g bar plain chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- Icing sugar to dust
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, butter then line a 20 x 30cm traybake or small roasting tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl. Add the beetroot, vanilla and orange zest and blend them together using a hand blender.
- Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl, then beat using an electric hand whisk until thick, pale and foamy, about 2 mins. Spoon the beetroot mix into the bowl, then use a large metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs. Try to conserve as much air in the mixture as you can. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter together with the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 mins or until risen all over, with just the merest quiver under the centre of the crust when you shake the pan. Cool completely in the tin, then cut into squares.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings