- 50g Butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 75g flaked almonds
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 150ml orange juice
- 12 cloves of roasted garlic
- 500g brussel sprouts, quartered
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- freshly grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp single cream (optional)
- fresh chives or toasted flaked almonds to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat, add the onion and almonds and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is softened and the nuts are golden. Stir in the sprouts.
- Pour in the stock, orange zest, orange juice and roasted garlic, bring to the boil and add the bouquet garni. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sprouts are tender.
- Using a draining spoon, lift out the sprouts, onion and nuts and transfer to a blender or food processor. Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Add a little of the liquid to the sprouts and then whizz to a smooth puree. Pour back into the pan and steason to tasts with nutmeg and pepper.
- Stir in the cream (if using) and warm through. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of chives or chopped almonds.
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries