- 85g quinoa
- 30g butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 225g button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 750ml chicken stock
- 15g butter
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 250ml double cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons creme fraiche
- chopped fresh chives
- Toast quinoa in a dry, heavy frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- In a large saucepan melt 30g butter over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and cook until caramelised, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in quinoa, mushrooms and black treacle; cook until mushrooms release their liquid, adding a little chicken stock if necessary to facilitate cooking. Add remaining chicken stock and bring to the boil; reduce heat to low and let simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Meanwhile, melt 15g butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook shiitake mushrooms in butter until softened; set aside.
- Puree soup in a food processor or liquidiser and return to saucepan. Stir in cream and heat (DO NOT BOIL). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with creme fraiche, shiitake mushrooms and chives.
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries