- 100g hazelnuts
- 280g self-raising flour
- 11/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 165g demerara sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 160g stewed and sweetened elderberries
- 1 tbs extra demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, grease a deep 20cm tin and line the base with baking paper
- Bake the hazelnuts for 5-10 minutes, place in a tea towel and rub together to remove the skins then roughly chop
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, sugar, butter and half the hazelnuts in a food processor in short bursts until finely chopped
- Add the eggs and process until well combined
- Press half the mixture onto the base of the tin, then spread the elderberry mixture evenly over the top
- Lightly knead the remaining hazelnut into the rest of the dough, then press evenly over the elderberry layer.
- Sprinkle the extra sugar over the top and bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings