To make 14 litres/3 gallons you will need:-
- 10-12 elderflowers heads
- 2 large lemons, juice and zest
- 900g white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Pick the elderflowers on a sunny day when they are in full bloom and check for any bugs or bits.
- Put the sugar into a large jug or bowl and pour over enough hot water to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice and zest and the vinegar.
- Pour into a sterilised bucket, add the flowerheads and make up the liquid to approximately 14 litres/3 gallons.
- Cover with a clean teatowel or lid and leave for three days, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the liquid through a muslin-lined sieve into a large jug and then pour into sterilsed bottles and seal tightly.
- Store laid on their sides - the drink will be ready in about two weeks when it will be very fizzy!
<<< Back to Drinks