- 850g fresh figs (13)
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 300g soft brown sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 260g red onions (2)
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 10g fresh root ginger or 1 teaspoon of dried ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion, peel and grate the ginger, remove the stalk from the figs and cut them into quarters. Zest and juice the lemon.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and then put in the onion. Fry the onion for 5 minutes until it has softened and turned translucent and slightly caramelised.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pan except for the figs, then season it with salt & pepper. Bring it up to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the liquid has reduced to a syrup add in the figs and cook it for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the chutney into sterilised jars, put the lids on and allow to cool.
<<< Back to Chutneys, Pickles & Preserves