For the pastry
For the Frangipan
- 200g plain flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 100g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 150g softened butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g self-raising flour
- 3 free-range eggs
- Flaked almonds
- To make the pastry; sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the ground almonds. Add the butter cut into pieces and rub in with fingertips. Sift in the icing sugar, add the grated lemon rind and stir to mix.
- Combine the egg yolk and milk and mix with a fork. Add to the dry ingredients and using a metal spoon or in mixer with beater, mix until the ingredients are evenly wet. With floured fingers, draw the mixture together to make a rough dough in the bowl.
- Turn out the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface and knead two or three times so that it is smooth. Allow the pastry to rest for 20 minutes before rolling.
- While the pastry is resting, you can make the fragipan. Put the butter, ground almonds, sugar, flour and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry thinly into 24 rounds with a fluted cutter to fit your tin.
- Place a tablespoons of the fruit mince in the centre of each pie - don't overfill them or they will leak whilst cooking.
- Top with approx. a tablespoon of fragipan, enough to cover the top of the mince pies. Sprinkle with flakes almonds.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20mins. When cooked, transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings