- 6 firm fresh figs, thickly sliced
- 45ml / 3tbsp clear honey, plus extra for glazing cooked figs
- 200g/7oz butter softened
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- Grated zest of one lemon and one orange
- 4 eggs, separated
- 225/8oz plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml/8floz Greek yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and grease a 23cm/9in cake tin.
- Arrange the figs over the base of the cake tin and drizzle the honey over the top.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar with the lemon and orange zest until the mixture is pale and fluffy, then gradually beat in the egg yolks
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add a little to the creamed mixture followed by a spoonful of the yogurt. Repeat this process until all the dry ingredients and yogurt have been added.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Stir hal the whites into the cake mixture, and then fold in the rest. Pour the mixture over the figs in the prepared tin and bake for 1 ¼ hours , or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cake onto a wire rack and allow to cool. Drizzle the figs with extra honey before serving.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings