- 3 medium eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 125ml sunflower oil plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g ground almonds
- 300g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 100g sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- A good grating of nutmeg
For the icing:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g full fat soft cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C. Lightly grease 2 x 17cm sandwich cake tins with sunflower oil and line the bases with baking parchment. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk for 5–6 minutes or until thick and pale. Whisk in the sunflower oil and vanilla extract, then fold in the almonds, carrots, sultanas, grated orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Divide the cake mixture between the 2 cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 30 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing by beating the butter for a few minutes so it's smooth and creamy (this is essential to stop your icing becoming lumpy). Beat in the soft cheese, then sift in the icing sugar and stir to mix.
- Pare the zest from the orange with a zester to make thin strips. Place in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes, then drain (this helps to remove any bitterness) and set aside.
- Peel the baking paper from the cakes and place one on a serving plate. Spread a third of the icing over the cake, then sit the second cake on top. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cakes and decorate with the strips of orange zest
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings