- 20cm sweet pastry case
- 80g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (2oz) granulated sugar
- 450g (1lb) fresh or frozen gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 25g (1oz caster sugar)
- 300ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 2 tbsp Elderflower cordial
- Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC (fan 170ºC) gas mark 5 and place a baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- On the warmed baking sheet bake the pastry case blind for 15 mins. Remove the foil or paper and beans and continue cooking for a further 5-10 mins.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the granulated sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and then add the gooseberries. Simmer for about 10mins until the fruit is just tender.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the gooseberries. Turn the heat up and boil rapidly until the liquid has reduced and caramelised. Spoon the gooseberries into the pastry case and pour over the caramel.
- Beat together the eggs, yolks, caster sugar, cream and elderflower cordial. Pour this over the gooseberries. Bake for about 30mins, or until set. Leave to cool slightly and serve warm.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings