For the cake
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 185g golden caster sugar, plus an extra 3 tbsp
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g marzipan, chopped into 1cm cubes
- Juice 2 lemons
For the mascarpone icing
- 200g mascarpone
- 200ml double cream
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, juice ½
- Nectarines sliced
- Passion fruit
You’ll also need…
- 30cm x 20cm rectangular tin, fully lined with baking paper
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the orange zest, then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder with a pinch of salt, then mix in the marzipan. Dollop the cake batter into the prepared tin, smooth out and bake for 30-35 minutes until risen, golden and springy. While it’s cooking, mix the lemon juice with the 3 tbsp caster sugar, then pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Leave to cool completely in its tin.
3. To make the icing, put everything in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer until the mixture forms soft peaks. Once the cake has cooled, spread the icing all over the top, scatter with summer fruit, drizzle with a little golden syrup (if using) and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Cut into squares to serve.