- 175g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 80g icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 100g chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- Few drops almond extract
- 250g mincemeat
- 25g flaked almonds
- 50g icing sugar
- For the pastry, put flour, icing sugar and orange zest into a food processor and pulse briefly to mix. Add butter and whiz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (alternatively, rub butter into the mixture using your fingers). Add the egg yolk and mix again until pastry just comes together (add a few drops of water if the mixture still looks dry). Tip onto a lightly floured surface, press gently together to form a disc then wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 45min or until firm but pliable.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface, then use to line a 20.5cm (8in) round by 2.5cm (1in) deep-fluted flan tin. Chill until needed.
- Meanwhile make the filling: cream butter and sugar together, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Stir in the ground almonds, flour and almond extract to make a soft mixture. Spread the mincemeat over the base of tart case, then cover with the almond mixture and smooth until level. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Chill for 10min.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4; put a baking sheet in to heat up. Put tart on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 35min or until golden and risen - cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Leave to cool in tin for 10min, then carefully transfer tart to a serving plate. In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make a thick glacé icing. Drizzle over the tart, then serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or custard.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings