- 115g butter
- 1.5kg onions very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 250ml cider
- 1.2 lts chicken stock
- Leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan then add the onions. Sauté them gently, turning them round in the butter until they start to soften.
- Add a splash of water, cover with a lid and sweat the onions until they are very soft and starting to caramelise. (This can take up to 50 minutes)
- You will need to add a splash of water every so often and turn the onions over in the buttery juices.
- Take off the lid, turn up the heat so the juices evaporate and the onions caramelise. Add the sugar if the onions will not caramelise.
- When the onions are dark add the cider, stock and thyme and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes before serving.
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries