- 175g Butter
- 75g Sugar
- 150g Plain flour
- 100g Ground almonds
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 110g Butter
- 150g Sugar
- 4 Medium eggs
- 150g Desiccated coconut
- 75g Ground almonds
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 110g Sultanas
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Put all the ingredients for the shortbread in a food processor and reduce to crumbs, continue mixing until mixture comes together into a ball ...it will be very soft and sticky at this point.
- Press it into the base of a 30x23x4cm tin, greased and lined with baking paper. Lay a sheet of clingfilm over the top and smooth it with your fingers. Cover the surface of the tin with extra clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 140®C. Remove the clingfilm and prick the shortbread over with a fork and bake for 25-30mins until just beginning to colour. Leave to cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 170®C. Work the jam with a spoon in a bowl until it is smooth, then spread in a thin layer over the shortbread base using a palette knife.
- Put the butter and sugar in a food processor and cream together, then incorporate the eggs. Pour the mixture into the bowl and fold in the coconut, ground almonds, baking powder and sultanas. Smooth the mixture on top of the jam and bake for 25-30mins until the sponge has set and the top is golden.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and leave it to cool. Cut it in half lengthways, then across in 2cm slices. Dust with icing sugar and transferred to a serving plate.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings