- 450g fresh plums, halved, stoned and roughly sliced
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- zest of 2 oranges
- 300g light muscovado sugar
- 350g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 300g rolled porridge oats (not jumbo)
- 140g plain flour (or you can use a granary seed flour)
- 50g chopped walnut pieces
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- Heat over to 200⁰C, 180⁰C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Tip the plums into a bowl. Toss with the spice, 50g of the sugar and a small pinch of salt, then set aside to macerate.
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan. In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, walnut pieces and remaining sugar together, making sure there are no lumps of sugar, then stir in the butter and golden syrup until everything is combined into a loose flapjack mixture.
- Grease a square baking tin about 20cm x 20cm. Press half the oaty mixture over the base of the tin. Then tip over the plums and spread to make an even layer. Press the remaining oats over the plums so they are completely covered righ to the sides of the tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes until dark golden and starting to crisp a little around the edges. Leave to cool completely, then cut into 18 little bars. Will keep in an airtight container for 2 days or can be frozen for up to a month.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings