- 1kg red onions
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 heaped tbsp choppped, fresh thyme
- 110g soft dark brown sugar
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3tbsp whitewine vinegar
- 2tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2tbsp port
- Black Pepper
- Thinly slice the red onions and fry them gently with the olive oil, salt, and thyme for 35 minutes.
- Once soft add the sugar, both vinegars, redcurrant jelly, port and a good grind of black pepper.
- Stir thoroughly and slowly bring to the boil. Cook for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Spoon the mixture into several jam jars, which have been warmed and sterilised. Then seal. They will keep in the larder for about a year.
- This recipe makes about 800ml of marmalade.
<<< Back to Chutneys, Pickles & Preserves