- 1.8 kg rhubarb, chopped
- 450 g seedless raisins
- 850 ml white malt vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 900 g sugar
- 5cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 oranges, finely chopped zest only
- juice of 2 oranges
- good pinch of ground nutmeg
- cayenne pepper
- Put the rhubarb and raisins in a preserving pan. Add 600ml of the vinegar. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until soft and thoroughly cooked.
- Put the sugar in a non-reactive saucepan and pour over the remaining vinegar. Place over gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the fruits are cooked, add the sugar, ginger, vinegar solution, chopped orange rind, orange juice and mace. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-50 minutes, until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Spoon into clean warm jars.
<<< Back to Chutneys, Pickles & Preserves