- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 175g carrots, diced
- 50g red lentils
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 425g tin of chick peas, drained
- salt & pepper to season
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic, cumin seeds and curry powder for 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, carrots, lentils and orange zest to the pan.
- Make up orange juice to 575ml (1 pint) with water and add to the soup, stirring well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Allow the soup to cool, then puree to give a thick coarse texture.
- Add the chick peas, reheat, season ...and serve!
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries