- 200g spinach
- 200g red lentils
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbs ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- Large bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice to taste.
- Remove the stems from the spinach and finely shred the leaves.
- Cook the lentils in 1.5ltrs of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins until just tender
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and stir fry all the spices. Add the onion and garlic, and sweat until soft.
- Add the spices and onions to the lentils in their cooking liquid, and then add the tomatoes, tomato puree and coconut milk. Cook for a further 15 mins.
- Add the spinach and cook just enough to wilt. Take off the heat and add the coriander and lemon juice to taste.
- Season with black pepper, garnish with a bunch of fresh coriander and finish with a swirl of cream!
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries