- 25g Butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2tsp garam masala
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 225g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 115g red lentils, washed
- 850ml half strength vegetable stock
- 225g spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large lidded saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, cumin seeds and turmeric. Stir well, cover and sweat for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils and stock, bring to the boil, cover and cook rapidly for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 20 minutes, adding the spinach 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Cool slightly before pureeing. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper as required.
- Return the soup to the rinsed out pan and heat through gently.
- Meanwhile, for the garnish, melt the butter and fry the garlic until it is a dark brown colour. This takes only a couple of minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Divide the soup between warmed serving bowls and scatter the garlic slivers over the top.
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries