For the cupcakes
For the Ginger frosting;
- 60g butter
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 2 tbs dark treacle
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 80 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 pieces of preserved stem ginger in syrup,
drained well and chopped finely
- 115g self raising flour
- 75g butter
- 175g icing sugar
- 2 tbs of syrup from the preserved ginger
- Pre-heat the oven to 170˚C/325˚F. Line a muffin tin with paper cakes and then set aside.
- Place the treacles, butter, sugar and ground ginger into a largish saucepan. Place over medium low heat and heat gently until the butter has melted and all have blended well together. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Beat together the milk and the egg. Stir this into the warm mixture along with the stem ginger. Sift the flour over top and fold it in until well combined. Spoon into the muffin cases, dividing it equally amongst them all.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until they spring back when lightly touched, or when a skewer inserted into the centre of one comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the ginger frosting, beat the butter in a bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Sift in the icing sugar and add the syrup.
- Beat together until smooth.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings