- 5 egg whites
- 275g caster sugar
- 50g flaked almonds
For the filling:
- 300ml double cream
- Grated rind and juice of 1 small lemon
- 225g summer fruits, plus a little extra to decorate
- Line a 33x23cm Swiss Roll tin with greased no-stick baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 150⁰C (fan 130⁰C).
- Whisk the egg whites in an electric mixer on full speed until very stiff. Gradually add the sugar, a teaspoon at a time, and still on high speed, whisking well between each addition. When all the sugar has been added, give the mixture another good whisk, then spread into the prepared tin and sprinkle with almonds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins until the surface of the meringue is golden and just firm.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and cover with a clean, damp tea towel and allow to cool.
- Turn the meringue onto a piece of baking parchment. Lightly whip the cream, add the lemon rind and juice and fold in the fruit. Spread evenly over the meringue.
- Roll up the meringue tightly, from the long end, to form a roulade. Wrap in non-stick baking paper and chill well before serving. Decorate with fruit to serve.
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings