- 75g Butter
- 75g Plain flour
- ¾ pint of milk
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp mustard
- 200g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, seperated
- ¾ pint double cream
- Put onion, bay leaf and pepper corns into milk and bring to the boil, remove from heat and allow to infuse for min of 30mins.
- Melt butter in a separate saucepan and then add flour, stirring well. Add mustard.
- Remove onion, bay leaf and pepper corns from milk, then gradually add milk to the flour mixture stirring well to prevent any lumps.
- Take off heat and add cheese. Beat well.
- Add egg yolks and season with salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into cheese sauce.
- Butter and flour 10 ramekin dishes and fill ¾ full with cheese mixture.
- Put ramekins into a deep roasting tin and half fill with boiling water.
- Cook for 15-20 min in a hot oven until firm and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, then remove from ramekin dishes. These can be frozen at this stage, just take out of freezer 2 hours before use.
- Put soufflés onto a buttered dish. Pout over double cream and then top each with grated cheese.
- Put into hot oven and cook for 12-15 mins, until risen and cheese has melted.
<<< Back to Soups & Savouries