For the cupcakes
For the white chocolate buttercream icing;
- 150g (51/2oz) butter
- 175g (6oz) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 100g (31/2oz) white chocolate chips
- 75g (23/4oz) dried cranberries
- 200g white chocolate
- 280g unsalted butter
- 280g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/ 350˚F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and light. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix again. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add to the egg mixture and mix for 10 seconds. Add the soured cream or milk and mix until smooth.
- Put the white chocolate chips and cranberries in a bowl and toss in 1 tablespoon of plain flour. Stir the chocolate chips and cranberries into the cupcake mixture. Place 12–16 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and fill the cases 2/3 full with the mixture and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden, well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream, melt the chocolate and leave to cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the butter and icing sugar together until creamy. Beat in the chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Spread buttercream over top of each cupcake and finish with white chocolate flakes!
<<< Back to Cakes & Puddings